In this article we are going to illustrate how to create your own personal content recommendation using web services. Before reading this we strongly suggest you to visit our Marketplace in order to learn about THRON Customer Experience.
In order to be able to create your own recommendation, the following conditions must be fulfilled:
- First of all, you will have to make sure that the THRON Customer Experience module has been activated, and that a Predictive Content Recommendation has been installed on any available folder. In addition you must have been granted with administrative role for this specific Recommendation.
- Then you will have to make sure that content have been published in the folder where the recommendation is operating, and such content have to be properly tagged.
- Remember that any Recommendation needs a period of time to process data and start suggesting content according to the parameters configured in its management console.
Recommend content via web services
The url of the web service to be invoked in order to recommend content is structured as follows:
- clientId: it is the domain name used to access THRON, usually your company name.
- masterAppId: the application ID of the THRON Customer Experience associated with the specific recommendation.
- slaveAppId: the application ID of the single Predictive Content Recommendation to be used in order to suggest content.
- contactId: the ID of the contact to which you are going to suggest content. It can be retrieved by invoking the list web service by providing at least one key related to the specific contact.
- lang: the locale of the metadata related to suggested content.
- mode: the mode of the recommendation; available values are:
- MOST_VISITED: the list of content related to the single recommendation ordered by the number of visits (descending). This might not match with the interests of the user since it returns the content which can be accessed by the recommendation app, ordered by number of collected visits.
- RECOMMENDED: a list of content related to the single recommendation that matches the interests of the contact.
In the response you will find an array of content (recommendedContents), and for each one of them you will get the following information:
- score: it is a score (decimal number between 0 and 5 ) that indicates how much the content is considered relevant for the contact; higher the number more likely the content is relevant for the contact
- dynThumbUrl: the content thumbnail's url. More information can be found in this article.
- urls: the urls from which the specific content has been visited. This information is useful in order to redirect the user to the specific content once clicked.
- content: all the relevant content information such as basic information, tags, metadata, xcontentId, prettyId, linked content.
With such information you will be able to build your own recommendation for your contacts. You can do it in many ways:
- For example you can embed THRON player and deliver one of the recommended content by invoking its getContentDetail. (Read this article to understand how).
- You can create a wall of recommended content by extracting their thumbnails and using the Real-Time Image Editor, as depicted in the following image:
If you want a quick way to embed recommended content in your projects, remember that for each single recommendation, THRON provides two embeddable widgets which are ready to use: an Adaptive Content Wall and an Horizontal Content List. Their embed codes can be taken directly into the application's management console. Instructions on how to customize such widgets can be found in this article.